Applying effects to 3D models

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:21 AM
First off, I'm a designer and not really a programmer, so I'm relatively new to c#, anyway.

I would like to know if there's a way to add effects to single models present in a Viewport3D.

What I've found is that it can be applied to anything with the effect property, but I haven't found anything you can add inside a viewport3d that has this property.
Oct 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM
I don't believe there is a way to apply pixel shaders to individual 3d models within a Viewport3D(though you can apply an effect to the Viewport3D itself).  I think you have to use direct3d (maybe using D3DImage) to accomplish this.

You migh be able to fake it (depending on how complex your 3D interactions are) by either layering multiple Viewport3D objects or using multiple Viewport2DVisual3D objects inside of a Viewport3D.  Obviously Z depth operations would not be trivial to fake.
Nov 4, 2008 at 6:36 AM
Yes I've found that I can apply effects to the viewport itself, and layering viewports was the first alternative I could think of when I noticed the limitation.

Hopefully, using effects on a viewport level is sufficient for our current needs, but if I find a different solution to this I'll share it here.

Thank you for the response.